What is the Difference between an Employment Verification and a Reference Interview?
Employment verifications uncover unexplained gaps in employment, and undesirable behavior patterns in the applicant’s work history. An employment verification can reveal inaccuracies and validate information that the applicant has provided to you.
Typical questions included in an employment verification are:
- Dates of employment
- Ending job title
- Ending pay rate
- Reason for leaving
- Eligibility for re-hire
If you want even more information on employment verifications, read our Industry Insight, Employment Verifications: 4 Best Practices You or Your Background Screening Company Should Follow.
Reference interviews dig even deeper into an applicant’s work history and help you assess the applicant’s character, capabilities and accomplishments. If you want to know how the applicant interacts with other employees, or if they have the skills to successfully fulfill their job duties, a reference interview will help you determine if the applicant will be a good fit for your organization.
Reference interviews also let you find out even more about your applicant, and you can use a standard set of questions from your background screening company, or customize your own set of questions.
Examples of questions you or your background screening company could ask are:
- What is your relationship to the applicant?
- On which duties does/did the applicant spend most of his/her time working?
- How would you describe the applicant’s work standards?
- What do you feel are the applicant’s strengths?
- What do you feel are the applicant’s weaknesses, limitations or areas in need of improvement?
- How would you describe the applicant’s work ethic?
- Is/was the applicant able to form and maintain positive relationships with his/her supervisors, peers and subordinates?
- How would you describe applicant’s attendance record?
- Are you aware of any problems in the applicant’s background that might put us at risk?
Are you ready to uncover your applicant’s work history with an employment verification or a reference interview?
Call us today at 602.258.8858 or contact us.